Thursday, June 22, 2017

I've started drawing again!

Most people even if we're not close would probably know me for my artworks. I started posting drawings on my Instagram account since 2013 and ever since, my Instagram 'fan base' grew. I constantly posted different things though, life, art, photography - my Instagram never had a set theme. I posted as I liked. But over time, I didn't draw as much, and so slowly the frequency of me posting artwork on Instagram became less and less. So naturally, my 'fan base' started to become stagnant. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all about likes or followers, but when I see that number diminishing, it indicates just how much I've been slacking.

I'm not happy with it either. How I've missed drawing. Even though I'm currently in a creative industry, not being able to express myself through my favourite ways made me feel upset. Especially with my semester struggles (read here), I never make time for it anymore because sometimes I get so darn tired at the end of each day. 

But the other day, after all my assignments were submitted, I just realized just how much I missed it. So, I decided to make myself brave and ask indirectly to my friends on Instagram " who wants their portrait drawn ?" And from there I got a few requests.

This time, because I was drawing people's portraits, I knew it had to look good because they are people I know. If the portrait looked nothing like them, then that'd just make me look bad. And so that's how my Friends Series started.

It was like a chain reaction. After drawing one person, a friend of that person wanted one too, and it just spread for a bit. To date, I've done 11 portraits in the past 5 days, and I still have some that I haven't started. They're pretty simple. Nothing like my graphite portraits I did years ago or even my watercolour postcards, but for now, this will do. This is sustainable for me, and it still keeps me happy. So for the next month that I'll be on holiday, I hope I can keep at it. 

Also, I've created a new account just for this purpose. Feel free to check it out! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment